Here’s A Goal For The New Year

Goals and dreams are what keep us going. They make us strive to be better people. Every year, it’s good to look back at the previous year and go over what you accomplished and what you are still looking to accomplish in the future.

I personally think that we often get bogged down with our goals. When things seem to not be moving in the right direction, we often get discouraged.  We set an artificial time for ourselves to hit and when that time comes and the goal is not completed, many of us quit. This usually happens when we set one big lofty goal and pick a date that we think we may be able to hit. This isn’t bad, it’s only a problem if you cannot manage this lofty goal.


It can be good to set small weekly goals to get yourself going in the right direction. This will keep you on the right path and get you going towards the end-of-the-road lofty goals we all have. Also, little victories have been proven to get the mind going in the right direction. Having a plan helps up succeed in making our goals a reality.

Here’s a Study

A study conducted by Harvard Business in 1979 analyzed a graduating class to determine how many had set goals, had plans, or were just winging it. Prior to graduating, it was determined that 84% were winging it or had not set goals for themselves. 13% had written goals with no concrete plans, while 3% of the class had both concrete plans and goals set in place. At the end of ten years, the 13% that had written goals with no plan were making double what the 84% of plan-less graduates were making. The big deal here is that the 3%, who were the “overachievers”, were actually making 10X the rest of the 97% of the class.


This study shows us that having some direction can help us out in a big way, even if it just knowing what direction we want to go in. This is the same for our goals and dreams. We have to be doing everything it takes to make sure we are going in the right direction every day.

Little Story About Myself

I have recently put this method into practice, and it has worked wonders. In the beginning of 2018, I started to track my net worth. This is around the same time that I started this site. At the time, my net worth was way in the red. Like most of my friends and others in my age group, I had student loans that set me back. I had bought a car and had some other loans and credit card bills. My liabilities totaled up to over $80,000 and I really didn’t have many assets to show for the years of work I had after graduating. So, I decided to change all of that.

Blog 18

I told myself that I would start tracking my net worth every week. I would also start paying down my debt and accumulating more assets. I would set little goals for myself here and there, saying things like, “this month I will save $200” or “I’ll put $200 into my Roth IRA.” I also looked into how I could make these assets make me more money and how I, myself, could do the same. Nearly two years of little wins led me to finally get out of the red in December of 2019. Now, I have new goals to accomplish like starting a YouTube channel for this site and finding a great multi-family home with a yard for my dog to run around in. The little steps will take some time, but if I work on little goals weekly, I know I’ll get there.

Bottom line

Don’t get down on yourself when things don’t seem to be going your way. If there is a will, then there is a way. You just have to find that way. Maybe you need to write out weekly goals or make a plan. One thing that helps me is visualizing it. If I want to complete something one year from now, what is it that I must do today that will get me there? It takes time, so don’t get discouraged. Try setting yourself up for some little wins before the big victory. Remember, if I can do it, I’m positive that you’ll be fine.


You’ve got this!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s